Located on 4/F, the designated “Silent Floor” of MMW Library, the Research Commons is composed of 62 individual study carrels which are available for advance booking via the Study Carrel Booking System.
Eligibility of Booking
EdUHK Students and Academic Staff
Length of Booking Session
Compulsory Check In Time
Check in on-site within 15 minutes after the start of each session
No more than 6 active or booked sessions of any library facilities at the same time.
Period of Advance Booking
Regular Study Carrels
All EdUHK students and academic staff: 7 days in advance
Priority Study Carrels
EdUHK postgraduate degree students #: 14 days in advance
All other EdUHK students and academic staff: 7 days in advance
# EdUHK postgraduate degree students = EdUHK students currently studying at Master or Doctoral level.
- Individual lighting and power outlets are provided in all study carrels
- Desktop PCs are provided at about one-third of the study carrels
- Pedestals (Students and colleagues may bring their own pad-locks to lock the pedestals of their Study Carrels during the sessions checked in by them.)
Hours of Availability
All study carrels are available for use when the MMW Library is open. Please visit library opening hours.
SEN Students Priority Study Carrels
Two study carrels (SN1 and SN2) are designated for students with special educational needs. Booking of SN1 and SN2 can be cancelled at any time by the Library if they are needed by SEN students. Students with special needs can contact our colleague Mr. Chan at 29486672, email email@example.com or contact the Circulation Counter on G/F for using the SEN Students Priority Study Carrels.
Rules for Using the Study Carrels
- Absolute silence must be observed at all time within the Research Commons. Activities which may generate noises, including but not limited to discussion and conversation, are not allowed.
- All study carrels are intended for private study only. Each study carrel should seat one user only.
- Mobile phones and pagers must be switched off or set to silent mode at all times.
- No eating and drinking is allowed in the study carrels.
- Bookings cannot be transferred to other users.
- All furniture and equipment such as chairs and table lamps must not be taken away from the study carrels or removed from one study carrel to another.
- Users should keep the study carrels clean and tidy, and clear the study carrels before leaving.
- Users should turn off the table lamp and the PC if they are not in use.
- Users must not leave personal belongings in the study carrels unattended. The Library will not be responsible for any loss or damage of personal belongings.
Rules for Using Locking Pedestals
- Only the user who has currently checked in this Study Carrel can lock this pedestal.
- Only common key padlock or combination padlock can be used.
- The padlock must be removed at the end of the checked in session(s).
- Unsafe, illegal, staining and odorous materials including food and drinks must not be stored in the pedestal.
- The Library is not responsible for any losses or damages of items left in the pedestal.
- The Library has the full authority to open any pedestal locked not according to this set of rules. All perishable items will be disposed immediately. All library books will be returned and/or re-shelved. Other items left in the pedestal including the padlock removed will be treated as lost and found items.
Enquiry and Assistance
Please contact Library Circulation Counter at 2948 6658 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.